This month’s challenge was to create a set of three bars that contained at least seven polka dots each, arranged in a symmetrical pattern. For my first two attempts, I used a clay template to hold plastic straws in a set pattern and poured a base color around the straws. Once set, I removed the straws and filled the holes with a contrasting color. I had some trouble with this method as the second batter did not easily fill the holes and I ended up with air pockets and leaking batter.
For my third attempt (Electric Ladybug) I used black soap dough to form “straws” and after letting them harden up overnight, placed them in the template instead of the straws. I filled the mold with a neon colored batter and when I cut the bars the dots were much more even and symmetrical than the previous attempts. This method is very mathematical and precise (which I like!) and I am looking forward to repeating it in the future with different colored soap doughs.